Nato chief urges open Kunduz air strike probe

2015-10-08 21:42
Fires burn in part of the MSF hospital in the Afghan city of Kunduz after it was hit by an air strike. (AFP)

Fires burn in part of the MSF hospital in the Afghan city of Kunduz after it was hit by an air strike. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Brussels - Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg called on Wednesday for a full and transparent investigation into a US air strike on a Doctors Without Borders (MSF) hospital in the Afghan city of Kunduz that left dozens dead or missing.

Stoltenberg said defence ministers from the alliance attending a regular meeting in Brussels had discussed the attack, which is currently the subject of three separate probes by the US military, Nato and Afghan officials.

"We addressed the situation in Kunduz, including the tragic loss of lives in the Doctors Without Borders hospital. We underlined the importance of a full and thorough and transparent investigation," Stoltenberg told a press conference.

"We need to have all the facts on the table."

His comments came a day after US President Barack Obama personally apologised to the aid group and promised a full probe into the Kunduz hospital attack.

MSF has demanded an independent international investigation. It said Thursday that 33 people are still missing after the attack, in addition to the 12 MSF staff and 10 patients already confirmed dead.

Meanwhile the Nato chief said the alliance was preparing to "take decisions" on the future of its training and advisory mission in Afghanistan, which replaced the alliance's combat role in the country last year and is set to end in 2016.

The Taliban's recent capture of the important city of Kunduz has however badly shaken confidence in the Afghan government's ability to hold the militants off despite Nato support, leading to second thoughts.

"Later this year, we will decide on the troop levels and where they will be based. This will be done on the basis of a detailed security assessment, which we expect in the coming weeks," Stoltenberg said.

Read more on:    nato  |  us  |  afghanistan

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.