Nato dismisses Gaddafi ceasefire offer
Brussels - Nato says it wants Muammar Gaddafii's forces to end their attacks on civilians before it considers the Libyan leader's ceasefire offer.
A Nato official said on Saturday that the alliance wants to "to see not words, but actions".
Gaddafi called for a ceasefire and negotiations with Nato powers in a live speech on state TV earlier on Saturday, saying "the door to peace is open".
But the Nato official said Gaddafi's regime has announced ceasefires several times before and continued attacking cities and civilians.
The official, who could not be identified in line with standing regulations, said just hours before Gaddafi proposed the truce, his forces indiscriminately shelled the besieged port city of Misrata, Libya, killing several people.
"All this has to stop, and it has to stop now," the Nato official said, adding that a ceasefire must be "credible and verifiable".