Nepal clears last landmines

2011-06-14 22:33

Phulchoki - Nepal on Tuesday cleared the country's last remaining minefield, nearly five years after the end of the decade-long civil war with Maoist insurgents.

Prime Minister Jhalanath Khanal pressed a button in a ceremony at the top of Phulchoki hill, blowing up the deadly explosive devices to fulfil one of the main terms of the peace accord signed in November 2006.

The Nepalese army laid minefields in 53 places across the country, most of them around key military facilities, hydro-electric power stations and telecoms towers.

"Removing these devices is an important part of the peace process," Khanal said after the controlled explosion, which echoed around the 2 700m peak near the capital, Kathmandu.

"This is an important step," he added.

According to the United Nations, 78 people have been killed and 395 others injured by mines since the peace accord. Most of the victims were children.

Khanal said that although the minefields had been removed, unexploded ordnance still posed a hazard, particularly in remote areas of the mountainous nation.

The army began laying mines to protect its barracks and government installations from Maoist attacks from 2002. Landmine clearance began in January 2007, with help from the UN.

Tuesday's clearance makes Nepal only the second Asian country after China to declare itself mine-free.

Prime Minister Khanal on Tuesday said that Nepal will soon sign the international Ottawa treaty that bans landmines.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    un  |  nepal publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

No '07 France ghosts - Foster
Boks not underestimating Wales scrum
Boks play repeat knockout at RWC
O'Connell out of World Cup - Laporte
Traffic Alerts

You may find it hard to focus on the mundane routines as the greener pastures seem so tempting. It is a good time to expand more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.