News24

New York beach body count hits 10

2011-04-13 11:33

New York - The latest two sets of remains found along a New York beach highway are human, authorities said, bringing to 10 the number of bodies found in a search for victims of a suspected serial killer.

Authorities have not definitively linked all the remains found in the past five months to the same suspect, but they have said four escorts who advertised on the website Craigslist who were found in December were likely victims of a serial killer.

Police happened upon the first set of four remains while searching for a missing New Jersey prostitute last seen in a nearby community nearly a year ago. That woman has yet to be found.

Police searching late last month along Ocean Parkway discovered a fifth body, which prompted authorities to commence a widespread search involving dozens of officers, dogs, helicopters, mounted units and volunteer firefighters.

Cops hold back some details

That effort led to the discovery on April 4 of three more sets of remains and two more on Monday near Jones Beach State Park.

Police investigating the deaths have kept many details of the killings to themselves, but the revelations have shaken some veteran officers.

"It's pretty startling," Detective Lieutenant Kevin Smith, a Nassau County police spokesperson, told reporters on Tuesday.

"We have eight sets in Suffolk County. We have two more now. It's all been very startling. All of it has. It's just amazing that we're finding people. We have a lot of work to do."

Some victims dead for years

Among the more recent six sets of remains, none has been identified by gender, and police have not indicated a cause of death, nor have they tied them to the four bodies found in December.

State and Nassau County police wrapped up a search of several kilometres of Ocean Parkway on Tuesday; officials in neighbouring Suffolk County finished a four-day search last week.

All the police agencies said they were open to returning to the barrier island to resume searches as developments warrant.

Detectives said it appears some victims had been dead for a long time. The first of the women found late last year went missing in 2007; a second in 2009 and the remaining two in June and September 2010.

Comments
  • Phil - 2011-04-13 11:58

    Sounds like the real life Dexter? Scary!

  • rudyada - 2011-04-13 12:09

    Guess they'll need to get Aaron Hotchner and his team to start investigating

      Flee - 2011-04-13 15:41

      Excuse me.. They need Horatio Cane!!! LMFAO

  • rudyada - 2011-04-13 12:09

    Guess they'll need to get Aaron Hotchner and his team to start investigating

  • Nice Guy - 2011-04-13 12:30

    I think CSI New York should investigate it.

  • Ixian - 2011-04-13 15:20

    I think all of you have got too much time on your hands.

  • Ixian - 2011-04-13 15:20

    I think all of you have got too much time on your hands.

  • Ixian - 2011-04-13 15:21

    I think all of you have got too much time on your hands.

  • pages:
  • 1