New Zealand mine company found guilty

2013-04-18 12:18
Flames coming out of a ventilation shaft at the Pike River Coal mine near Greymouth on New Zealand's West Coast in November 2012. (File, AFP)

Flames coming out of a ventilation shaft at the Pike River Coal mine near Greymouth on New Zealand's West Coast in November 2012. (File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Wellington - A New Zealand mining company that owned a colliery where 29 men died in a 2010 gas explosion was found guilty on Thursday of safety breaches that led to the fatal blast.

Judge Jane Farish found there was a direct link between safety breaches at Pike River Coal and the deaths at the South Island colliery on 19 November 2010 - New Zealand's worst mine disaster in almost a century.

"In this case, there were fundamental breaches of the Health and Safety in Employment Act which led to the unnecessary deaths of 29 men," she said in a written judgement at the Greymouth District Court.

She found Pike River Coal guilty on all nine counts laid against the company, including failing to take all practicable steps to prevent employees coming to harm. Each charge carries a maximum penalty of $211 000.

Farish said sentencing would take place on 4 and 5 July, although it is unclear what assets the company has, as it went into receivership when the mine failed to re-open after the explosion.

The disaster claimed the lives of 24 New Zealanders, two Australians, two Britons and a South African.

Former mine boss to go on trial

Their remains are still entombed about 2.5km into the mine shaft, with recovery teams unable to reach them because of fears that volatile gases remain in the pit.

An Australian company that provided services at the mine, VLI Drilling Pty Limited, was convicted last October of three safety breaches and fined $39 000.

The mine's former chief executive Peter Whittall will go on trial facing similar charges later this year. He has pleaded not guilty.

A royal commission into the disaster found late last year that operators ignored numerous danger signs in a rush to boost production at the mine and there was no effective oversight from regulators.

The commission did not recommend pursuing criminal charges over the disaster, instead calling for a major overhaul of mine safety regulation in New Zealand.

Read more on:    new zealand  |  mining

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.