Nightmare before Christmas in Sydney

2014-12-15 12:13
A female hostage stands by the front entrance of the cafe as she turns the lights off in the Sydney central business district. (William West, AFP)

A female hostage stands by the front entrance of the cafe as she turns the lights off in the Sydney central business district. (William West, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sydney - It is one of the most popular cafes on a thoroughfare that is thronged at this time of year with festive shoppers, in addition to everyday office crowds and tourists.

But on Monday, a pre-Christmas nightmare played out inside the Lindt cafe on Sydney's Martin Place, while outside the crowds had evaporated, replaced by police lines and tension, as businesses shut early.

"It's kind of shocking for everyone," said local worker Goldie Jamshidi near the chocolate-themed cafe where a gunman had taken several people hostage, brandishing an Islamic banner above a Lindt store sign and the words "MERRY CHRISTMAS".

"I came to work and then I found out that this incident had happened," she said.

By the evening five people had fled the building, two of them young women wearing Lindt aprons who raced out and into the arms of police officers.

Officers wearing black Swat-style uniforms had earlier taken up position, eyes staring down rifle sights. Some onlookers took photos to post on social media, others shook their heads in disbelief.

Australia had long seemed far removed from the hubs of Islamist extremism. But the Lindt hostage-taker's use of the Islamic banner lent weight to suspicions that the threat had come home to roost despite a stepped-up security posture of late.

The government in September raised its terror threat level and police conducted raids across the country, as authorities fretted that dozens of Australians who have fought alongside jihadists in Iraq and Syria could return home radicalised and inflict "lone wolf" attacks.

"It's kind of overwhelming, especially after the drama a few months ago about the talk of a beheading at Martin Place," said office worker Rebecca Courtney.

That referred to an order purportedly issued by the most senior Australian recruited by Islamic State for "demonstration killings" in Australia, including beheading a random member of the public.

Afghan-born Mohammad Ali Baryalei, reportedly a former nightclub bouncer and aspiring actor, was said by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in October to have died in fighting overseas.

'It could happen anywhere'

At that time in October, the government urged young Australians not to become radicalised as it defended new "foreign fighter" legislation designed to prevent citizens from travelling overseas to take part in conflicts.

"It's sad to think this is my home and that it could happen anywhere," Courtney told AFP from close to the police cordon.

While the motives behind Monday's siege were not known, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the signs pointed to a political dimension.

"All the shops around us are closed for safety," said Marian Chung, general manager of a tourist outlet selling stuffed kangaroos and koalas and which is a stopping point for organised tours.

"But we can't close as some of our customers are from overseas and they have bookings here."

At the nearby Sydney Opera House, where police swept the area earlier on Monday, evening performances were cancelled.

In the days and weeks before Christmas, Sydney's shopping district usually takes on an extra vigour as people buy presents for the festive season. Martin Place, with its huge Christmas tree, is a magnet for families.

But Chung said she had lost about 30% of her usual revenue at her store, Kogaroo: Gift from Australia, on Monday because of the road and store closures as the city went into lockdown.

One business accused of profiteering from the hostage crisis was web-based taxi firm Uber, which is no stranger to controversy around the world.

Initially, Uber was said to have begun charging passengers four times regular fares with a minimum charge of $82 to leave Sydney's central business district. "What a shameful disgrace", wrote Twitter user Tyson Armstrong.

The company later issued a statement saying it "will be providing free rides out of the CBD to help Sydneysiders get home safely" and that it was "in the process of refunding rides".

Read more on:    isis  |  tony abbott  |  australia  |  sydney siege  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
18 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.