No footage of 11 abducted from Mexico bar

2013-06-04 12:00
A man takes photos with his mobile phone of the facade of an after hours bar plastered with signs of missing people in Mexico City. (AP)

A man takes photos with his mobile phone of the facade of an after hours bar plastered with signs of missing people in Mexico City. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Mexico City - Surveillance video reviewed so far by police hasn't shown a mass abduction of 11 young people who have been missing in Mexico City for more than a week, an official in the city prosecutor's office said on Monday.

The official said investigators still had several more hours of footage to review but they hadn't found any scenes of gunmen kidnapping the group as described by a witness.

Police also found no find evidence of a mass abduction or violence inside the after-hours bar cited by the witness, the official said.

The official agreed to talk about the case on condition his name not be revealed because he wasn't authorised to discuss an investigation still in progress.

A man who said he escaped the mass abduction from the bar on 26 May told authorities that masked men with large guns and SUVs kidnapped the group in broad daylight.

The man talked to authorities when he accompanied one of the missing's relatives to file a report, but authorities haven't been able to locate him since then, the official said.

No other witnesses have come forward, authorities have said.

The bar is on a narrow street surrounded by towering office buildings just off the city's busy Paseo de la Reforma. The bar is also a short walk from the federal police building and the US Embassy.

But no one saw anything that Sunday at around 10:00 when the abduction supposedly happened and when nearby Reforma was full of people gathering for a 5-kilometer foot race, the city's weekly urban bike ride and an international culture fair that had just opened the day before.

Mexico City Interior Secretary Hector Serrano said on Monday that the bar had previously been shut down by authorities but an injunction allowed it to reopen.

He said the bar's owner was being sought by authorities. Police also have said they couldn't locate any of the bar's employees.

Read more on:    mexico

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.