Norway police drop attacks death toll to 76
Oslo - Norwegian police on Monday lowered the overall death toll from twin bombing and shooting attacks to 76, hours after a self-confessed suspect was remanded in custody for eight weeks.
Senior Oslo police official Oeystein Maeland said the number of people killed by a downtown bomb went up one to eight, and that the count from a subsequent mass shooting on a nearby island fell from 86 to 68.
The overall toll was previously given by police as 93.
All the bodies have been removed from the island shooting, allowing for a more exact death toll, Maeland said.
"This figure could still go up," he added of the shooting toll, and "the search [for bodies] is ongoing."
"On Friday afternoon the situation was very chaotic," he explained. "The police had to put the accent on helping the wounded and providing emergency care, it's possible that victims were counted several times."
Because of ongoing uncertainties, police declined to give a figure for those still missing.
Prosecutor Christian Hatlo said that Anders Behring Breivik had mentioned "two other cells", confirming what Judge Kim Heger had quoted the suspect as saying during his first court appearance earlier on Monday.