Parts of UK still without electricity

2013-03-25 16:53
(Picture: AP)

(Picture: AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Edinburgh - Thousands of people in Scotland and Northern Ireland were still without power on Monday after snow and high winds brought down electricity lines in some of the worst March weather for half a century.

Power cuts affected hundreds of thousands of people over the weekend in Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England following blizzards, which swept in from Siberia.

At least 140 000 homes and businesses in Northern Ireland were left without power at the weekend following heavy snowfall, but that had dropped to 900 on Monday, Northern Ireland Electricity said.

Snowdrifts of up to 5m were reported after snowfall of 30-40 cm, but the weather service said the worst was likely over.

Northern Ireland Electricity said engineers had been sent by helicopter to restore electricity in rural and exposed areas where snow drifts and abandoned cars have made access difficult.

The worst hit areas in Scotland were the isle Arran and the Kintyre peninsula in the west and the Dumfries and Galloway area in the southwest.

A spokesperson for Scottish and Southern Energy said power to about 20 000 homes was knocked out in Arran and Kintyre at its peak after the storm hit on Friday.

This included all 3 800 homes on Arran.

By around 11:00 on Monday, around 5 000 homes in the area were still without power, including 1 500 on Arran, where emergency generators were brought in.

A spokesperson for Scottish Power, which covers the south-western corner of Scotland, said 6 000 customers were without power on Saturday, with the Wigtown area of Dumfries and Galloway the hardest hit.

"Snow-blocked roads have been the biggest issue preventing engineers getting to sites," the spokesperson said.

He added that as of Monday morning, about 250 customers were still without power but hoped all would be back on line by the end of the day.

A Scottish government spokesperson said the storm was of almost unprecedented violence, especially in the Kintyre area, including Arran.

Special efforts had been made to contact older people. Extra paramedics were on Arran, "and we will airlift people off the island if necessary".

He said no fatalities had been reported as a result of the storms.

Read more on:    weather

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.