Philippine: Search for missing resumes

2012-01-06 09:31
Manila - Philippine rescuers resumed the search on Friday for up to 150 people who remained missing a day after a deadly landslide buried a remote gold mining community in the country's south, the military said.

At least 25 people were killed on Mindanao island before dawn on Thursday when a rock and mud avalanche buried a mountain settlement of gold prospectors who had refused to leave an area declared too dangerous for habitation.

A group of volunteers prepared to go up the gold rush site to help about 140 soldiers and police there, who resumed the search at first light as the rains ceased, local military spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Lyndon Paniza said.

"We're not losing hope in our search for survivors. We will not shift to [corpse] retrieval mode until 72 hours had passed," he told AFP in a telephone interview from Pantukan town, where more rescuers are being mustered.

Rescuers are pushing tubes into the mouths of mine shafts that tunnel into the mountainside in the hope that some trapped miners could still be alive in them, but so far there had been no signs of life, he conceded.

Pantukan and nearby Monkayo, both on the west flank of Mindanao's Pacific Cordilleras mountains, have drawn gold prospectors for years despite frequent, deadly landslides.

Their largely unregulated tunnelling have made the mountainside unstable, government experts say, and heavy rains since last month had saturated the earth on top, helping to trigger the earthfall.

The government said the miners had been told to leave the area as early as 2008, but local officials failed to enforce the ban.

After the latest disaster, Paniza said the local government ordered the rest of the community of about 1 000 people to leave the area immediately amid concern of more landslips.

"Many of the victims' relatives want to help out in the rescue but they have no knowledge of the proper rescue techniques," Paniza said.

"The area is still critical and we expect other portions to eventually cave in."

The survivors will be forced to relocate to a flatter area about 1.5km away, he added.

Read more on:    philippine  |  landslides

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.