Philippine militants free Chinese-Malaysian captive

2014-12-11 15:43

Shutterstock (Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Manila – Al-Qaeda-linked militants in the southern Philippines have freed a Malaysian-Chinese man they had kidnapped seven months ago, a military spokesperson said on Thursday, after negotiations with community leaders.

Islamist Abu Sayyaf militants released the man, a trader working for a Malaysian fishing company, near the town of Indanan on the southern Philippine island of Jolo on Tuesday but no ransom had been paid, the spokesperson said.

He had been kidnapped at gunpoint, along with a Filipino worker, in the Malaysian state of Sabah on Borneo island in May and taken to Jolo.

"We were informed the kidnap victim was freed and took a speed boat to Sabah," spokesperson Captain Maria Rowena Muyuela said in a text message to reporters. She said the military had played no part in the negotiations.

Small but violent group

In May, Chinese consular officials in Malaysia identified the man as a trader from the southern Chinese province of Guizhou. Malaysian newspaper The Star identified him as the manager of a Sabah fish farm.

Abu Sayyaf is known for kidnapping, beheading victims and bombings in the southern Philippines. The United States has labelled it as a terrorist organisation.

The small but violent group is still holding as captives a Dutch wildlife photographer, a Japanese treasure hunter, and a Malaysian police officer in their jungle hideouts.

The Philippine military also said a teenage Filipino student taken by Abu Sayyaf had escaped and was found on Tuesday.

Ibrahim Patrasa, 16, escaped in Indanan nine hours after he was abducted outside his school on Jolo, said Colonel Allan Arrojado, commander of ground forces on the island.

"Our troops had ran into him while on patrol in the area," he said. "We recovered a rifle and a handgun near the area where we found the boy."

Read more on:    al-qaeda  |  philippines  |  abductions

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

New Trump accuser - No 10

16 minutes ago publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.