Philippine militants may extend deadline for German ransom

2014-10-17 11:47
Abu Sayyaf militants. (YouTube)

Abu Sayyaf militants. (YouTube)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Manila - Islamist militants holding a German couple hostage for ransom in the southern Philippines said Friday they could extend the deadline briefly if the money is confirmed to be on its way.

"We will extend the deadline by two hours if we get a call", Abu Rami, a spokesperson for the Abu Sayyaf group, told a local radio station in nearby Zamboanga City.

The Abu Sayyaf militants have threatened to kill the man by 15:00 if $5.6m was not paid and Germany does not withdraw its support for US-led attacks against Islamic state jihadists in Syria and Iraq.

"Unless there is somebody who will talk to us, we won't allow an additional hour or an extension of the time", Rami told DXRZ, which the group has used in the past to issue demands and other statements about the hostages.

Hours before the original deadline, hundreds of troops were deployed from the downtown area of Jolo Island, 1 000km south of Manila, to nearby Patikul town where the militants were believed to be holding the hostages, local residents said.

"Security is very tight outside of the downtown area and everyone is tense because of the execution threat," a resident said as a convoy of more than a dozen military trucks passed by.

More than 3 000 troops have been deployed on Jolo last week to step up security and patrols in the jungles where the Abu Sayyaf militants have been holding the hostages.

"We are ready for all-out operations against the kidnappers", said Colonel Allan Arrajado, commander of an army task force in Sulu province, which covers Jolo. "We will do our best so that their lives will not be endangered."

The 72-year-old German man and his partner, a 55-year-old woman, were abducted in April while they were sailing from the western Philippine province of Palawan to Borneo. They have pleaded for their release in radio appeals allowed by their captors.

On Wednesday, the German man told a local radio station that his captors had dug a grave for him, and that he had been separated from his partner.

Read more on:    philippines  |  germany  |  abductions

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
4 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.