Philippine troops in rebel offensive

2012-08-09 20:03
Police officers examine one of three bombing sites on the island province of Basilan in southern Philippines where Muslim militants disguised as policemen and army troops detonated bombs and opened fire in Isabela city. (Al Jacinto, AP)

Police officers examine one of three bombing sites on the island province of Basilan in southern Philippines where Muslim militants disguised as policemen and army troops detonated bombs and opened fire in Isabela city. (Al Jacinto, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Manila - Hundreds of troops, backed by assault helicopters, launched offensives on two strongholds of a breakaway Muslim guerrilla group in southern Philippines after they attacked at least 14 military camps and outposts, officials said on Thursday.

The brazen attacks since Sunday left at least four soldiers dead including one who was beheaded, while at least two rebels were killed in the counteroffensive, according to the government.

But a regional army spokesperson, Colonel Prudencio Asto, said the rebel death toll had reached 15 by Thursday, citing intelligence reports. This could not be independently confirmed.

The rebel group broke off in 2011 from the larger Moro Islamic Liberation Front, which is involved in peace talks with the government. Known as the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement, it opposes the negotiations, and has vowed to continue fighting for an independent homeland for minority Muslims in the south of the predominantly Roman Catholic nation.

The group's leader Ameril Umbra Kato had a stroke in November, plunging his group into uncertainty, but the renewed fighting indicates he still has firepower.

Peace talks

Governor Mujiv Hataman said the military and police have strengthened security in public areas in a five-province Muslim region that he heads to prevent diversionary attacks like bombings from Kato's fighters.

"We cannot allow any group to carry out brazen attacks and get away with it," Hataman said.

Troops were moving cautiously to avoid widespread disruptions amid the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, he said. More than 25 000 residents have been displaced by the fighting, according to the Office of Civil Defence.

The fighting this week is among the worst since 2008, when the peace talks bogged down, igniting clashes between Moro Islamic Liberation Front forces and government troops in Maguindanao and outlying provinces. That fighting killed hundreds and displaced 750 000 people before the two sides agreed to a ceasefire.

The government says the attacks by Kato's forces on 14 military camps, detachments and outposts were meant to derail its negotiations with MILF, which are being brokered by Malaysia. Still, the talks resumed in Malaysia on Wednesday.

Military officials said army assaults were focused on a vast marshland and two abandoned villages in Maguindanao's Datu Unsay town where the breakaway rebels have taken position. Army troops, backed by artillery and tank fire, have advanced slowly in areas rigged with booby traps.

A key Maguindanao highway which was closed down after rebel sniper fire killed two passing commuters earlier in the week was briefly reopened and then shut again on Thursday due to lingering threats, regional deputy military commander Romeo Santiago Nebres said.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    philippines  |  security
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

De Allende's star burns bright
Boks were 'in a dark space'
Pacific island teams singled out for rough tactics?
Ireland favourites but France bullish
Traffic Alerts

Passion is the name of the game. Love is not an intellectual study, but an experience from heart level. You have the tendency more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.