Philippines reviews blacklisting of Hong Kong journos

2014-11-24 12:14
President Benigno Aquino (File: AFP)

President Benigno Aquino (File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Manila - The Philippines will review its entry ban on nine Hong Kong journalists who shouted questions at President Benigno Aquino during a summit in Indonesia last year, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario said on Monday.

The move came after journalists' groups expressed concern over the blacklisting, which threatens to sour ties that the two nations have been trying to repair after eight Hong Kong tourists were killed in Manila in 2010.

"The journalists' issue will be reviewed", del Rosario told AFP, when asked if Manila would reconsider the ban on the journalists.

The reporters had their credentials withdrawn after they shouted questions at the Philippine leader during an APEC summit in Indonesia last year and are currently unable to enter the Philippines for any reason.

They were blacklisted over "acts committed against the president during a summit in Bali, Indonesia", Bureau of Immigration spokeswoman Elaine Tan said on Saturday without naming the nine.

Threat to public safety

Quoting intelligence officials, Tan said the journalists were a "threat to public safety".

The Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines said the blacklisting sent a "chilling message".

"If the government's intelligence agency does not the like the way you ask questions, you may be labelled a public safety threat and blacklisted from the Philippines," the group said.

Hong Kong newspapers reported that nine journalists from Now TV, RTHK and Commercial Radio have been banned ahead of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit to be hosted by the Philippines next year.

But Philippine Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma said his office has not started the accreditation process for journalists covering next year's APEC summit.

Relations between the Philippines and Hong Kong were strained for years after Hong Kong tourists held hostage by a rogue Filipino policeman in Manila were killed in a botched rescue attempt.

The two governments announced in April that they had resolved the bitter row.

Read more on:    benigno aquino  |  philippines

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.