Philippines tourism campaign bombs

2010-11-22 10:13
Manila - The Philippines said on Monday it had killed off a controversial new tourism campaign after President Benigno Aquino added his voice to widespread criticism of the project.

The tourism ministry launched "Pilipinas Kay Ganda" (Philippines What a Beauty) last week but it immediately came under fire.

Critics alleged it plagiarised Poland's tourism logo and pointed out that the domain name, www.beautifulpilipinas.com, was just one letter different from a pornographic website.

"The Department of Tourism confirmed that it is shelving the 'Pilipinas Kay Ganda' concept. Majority of the stakeholders and general public do not support this concept. The message has been received," it said in a statement.

The ministry said it had made an error in rushing the concept to the market.

"We were impatient and wanted to jumpstart our programme. That was a mistake," the statement said.

The ministry had already taken down the website last week but denied allegations it made an illegal copy of the Polish campaign.

Something more fitting


Aquino signalled at the weekend that the campaign would be aborted when he said there had been far too much criticism of it.

"The (tourism) stakeholders don't sound content. So probably, we need to do more than just fine-tune it. We should look for something more fitting," he told reporters.

The ministry said in its statement it would continue its search for an acceptable brand and the public would be asked to pitch in.

Suggestions would be short-listed for market testing and focus-group discussions to select the final brand, it added.

The Philippines has been struggling to shake off its image as a chaotic and unsafe destination after eight Hong Kong tourists were killed in a botched police rescue of a bus taken hostage by an ex-policeman in Manila in August.

Adding to the image problems, the United States Australia, Canada, Britain, France and New Zealand warned its citizens this month of an alleged impending terrorist attack in the Philippines.

The Philippines protested the travel advisories, but the six countries have ignored Aquino's calls to withdraw them.

Read more on:    benigno aquino  |  philippines  |  security

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
 

10 most expensive cars In the world

This is car porn at its best!

 
 

Luxury living

Seven of the most expensive children's toys ever made
5 millionaires turned murderers
The youngest billionaires in the world and how they made it
Watch: Flying first class has never been this luxurious!
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

There is a restless need for action and you may go overboard and fill your day with too many things in the need to be recognised...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.