Producer of fake Syrian hero boy video apologises

2014-11-16 18:26
(via YouTube)

(via YouTube)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Stockholm - The producer of a viral video showing a Syrian boy rescuing a girl under gunfire apologised on Sunday after the revelation it was fake drew fierce criticism.

"We stand for our good intention behind this but we're also sorry if it is making some harm and we're sorry if it makes documentation or reporting in war zones more difficult," Norwegian producer John Einar Hagen told AFP.

His apology followed an outcry among internet users, media outlets and rights organisations about the ethical implication of posting a fake video featuring children in war zones.

In the "Syrian hero boy" footage, directed by 34-year-old Norwegian director Lars Klevberg, a young boy braves sniper fire and appears to be shot while rescuing a girl hiding behind a burned car in what seems to be war-torn Syria.

After posting the film on YouTube on Monday, the director revealed on Friday it had been shot on location in Malta last summer with professional actors.

By the time the director admitted the hoax, the video had been watched more than five million times.

Klevberg said in a statement the idea of the video was "to spur debate, urge action on behalf of innocent children all over the world who are affected by war".

Human Rights Watch said on Saturday that such good intentions had been overrun by the negative consequences of the hoax.

"If the video hoax achieved any short-term goals by highlighting the plight of children in war, those have been washed away by undermining confidence in professional reporting and war crimes documentation that is done with care and consideration for the facts," HRW childrens' rights advisor Fred Abrahams said in a statement.

"By releasing a fake video, Klevberg has made it easier for war criminals to dismiss credible images of abuse."

The Syrian conflict began almost four years ago, born out of the upheaval of the Arab Spring protests.

More than 195 000 people have been killed and more than half the population has been forced to flee their homes.

Read more on:    syria  |  social networks

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.