Putin kicks off Americas tour with Cuba stop

2014-07-11 17:11
Russia president Vladimir Putin. (File, AFP)

Russia president Vladimir Putin. (File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Havana - Russian President Vladimir Putin has begun a six-day Latin American tour seeking to boost trade and ties in the region.

Putin arrived early on Friday in Havana and was greeted at the airport by Cuba's vice president. He's expected to meet with President Raul Castro and former leader Fidel Castro.

Russia is nearing final ratification of forgiving 90% of Cuba's Soviet-era debt, totalling more than $35bn. The remaining 10% will be spent by Havana on local investment projects selected with Russian input.

Putin will travel later to Argentina and to Brazil, where he is to attend the final World Cup match and ceremonial handover of host duties.

The next edition of soccer's marquee tournament takes place in Russia in 2018.
- AP
Read more on:    fidel castro  |  raul castro  |  vladimir putin  |  cuba  |  russia
NEXT ON NEWS24X
SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
4 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News

Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Property [change area]

Travel - Look, Book, Go!

Kalahari.com - shop online today

Deal of the week!

Petrol generators from R1399, save up to R350. While stocks last. Shop now!

30% off Pampers!

Save 30% when you buy 3 or more selected pampers products. While stocks last. Shop now!

This week only - 30% off books!

Get 30% off when you buy 2 or more books. Many titles to choose from. While stocks last. Shop now!

New range of Samsung smartphones!

Samsung Galaxy A3, A5 and Alpha now available at kalahari.com. while stocks last. Shop now!

Buy 3 eBooks & only pay for 2!

The cheapest of the 3 titles will be free. Many more titles to choose from. While stocks last. Shop now!

Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

There is a reactive and wilful undercurrent that flavours things today. There is a tendency to take things too personally and then...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.