Qaeda threatens US hostage in new video

2014-12-04 18:34
Suspected al-Qaeda militants stand behind bars during a hearing at a court in the Yemeni capital Sanaa. (AFP)

Suspected al-Qaeda militants stand behind bars during a hearing at a court in the Yemeni capital Sanaa. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sanaa - Al-Qaeda's branch in Yemen threatened an American hostage kidnapped over a year ago, giving Washington three days to meet unspecified demands and denouncing US actions in the country in a new video released on Thursday.

The hostage, identified as 33-year-old Luke Somers, an American photojournalist born in Britain, is featured for the first time in the video, posted on the al-Qaeda offshoot's Twitter account and first reported by Site Intelligence Group, which monitors militant sites.

The video mimicked some of those used by al-Qaeda rivals from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group, which has beheaded several American and British hostages in the aftermath of a summer blitz that captured much of Iraq and Syria.

The ISIS fighters have at times battled al-Qaeda and prompted defections among their rivals.


Somers was kidnapped in September 2013 from a street in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, where he had worked as a photojournalist for the Yemen Times. Since his capture, Yemeni journalists have been holding sit-ins in Sanaa to press the government to seek his release.

Somers was likely among a group of hostages who were the objective of a joint rescue mission by US operation forces and Yemeni troops last month that freed eight captives in a remote corner of Yemen's Hadramawt province.

At the time, a Yemeni official said the mission, carried out in a vast desert area dotted with dunes called Hagr al-Saiaar, an al-Qaeda safe haven not far from the Saudi border, failed to liberate five others, including an American journalist and a Briton who were moved elsewhere by their al-Qaeda captors days before the raid.

The American was not identified by name and Yemen did not officially confirm the participation of US commandos in the rescue mission — a rare instance of US forces intervening on the ground in Yemen.

The video can be viewed below.

Plea for help

In the three minute video, Somers appears somber and gives a brief statement in English, asking for help.

"It's now been well over a year since I've been kidnapped in Sanaa," Somers said. "Basically, I'm looking for any help that can get me out of this situation. I'm certain that my life is in danger. So as I sit here now, I ask, if anything can be done, please let it be done. Thank you very much."

Before Somers' statement, the video shows local al-Qaeda commander Nasser bin Ali al-Ansi, reading in Arabic and speaking about alleged American “crimes” against the Muslim world.

Al-Ansi criticizes US-led airstrikes against the ISIS  group and President Barak Obama for his "latest foolish action," referring to the "failed operation" in Hadramawt. He says an "elite group of mujahedeen" were killed in the US raid.

He also warned the US against more "stupidities," referring to future attempts to rescue hostages.

Al-Ansi gives the US three days to meet al-Qaeda's demands or "otherwise, the American hostage held by us will meet his inevitable fate", without elaborating or explicitly saying they would kill their captive.

Al-Ansi also does not specify the group's demands but says Washington is "aware" of them.

‘World’s most dangerous terror network’

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian peninsula, as the Yemeni group is known, is considered by the US to be the world's most
dangerous branch of the terror network and has been linked to several failed attacks on the US homeland.

Abduction of foreigners has been common in impoverished Yemen, troubled both by al-Qaeda and the advance of Shiite rebels, but while kidnapping for ransom was common in the past, threatening a hostage's life appears to be a shift in the al-Qaeda branch's tactics.

On Thursday, Yemeni security officials said the body of a Yemeni hostage who had been held captive together with Somers, was found in the district of al-Qatn in Hadramawt late on Wednesday.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with regulations, identified the man as Rashid al-Habshi and said the al-Qaeda Yemeni branch had recorded his purported confession of helping Americans in carrying out drone strikes against militants.

The US drone strikes, targeting suspected militant gatherings, have become increasingly unpopular in Yemen due to civilian casualties.
Read more on:    al-qaeda  |  isis  |  barak obama  |  us  |  yemen  |  war

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.