Red Cross suspends activity in Aden

2015-08-25 18:57
Buildings at the Jabal al-Hadid military camp burn as smoke rises in Aden, Yemen. (Yassir Hassan, AP)

Buildings at the Jabal al-Hadid military camp burn as smoke rises in Aden, Yemen. (Yassir Hassan, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Aden - The International Committee of the Red Cross said on Tuesday it had suspended its operations in Yemen's war-ravaged second city of Aden after gunmen stormed its office there.

"Gunmen stormed our sub-delegation in Aden yesterday [Monday] and held our staff at gunpoint," spokesperson Rima Kamal told AFP. "We have as a result temporarily suspended our operations in Aden."

The assailants stole "cars, cash and equipment," Kamal added.

She said the ICRC had evacuated 14 of its employees from Aden to other provinces.

"They will continue to support our Yemen operation from other locations."

Kamal said theICRC team in Aden has been caught up in "at least ten such incidents in the last couple of weeks".

"The ICRC calls on all parties on the ground to respect the ICRC's strictly neutral and impartial work and not to obstruct it or prevent it from helping people in need."

Kamal said it was not immediately possible to identify the assailants.

"We are naturally investigating further and trying to piece together various information," she said.

Another ICRC spokesperson, Adnan Hizam, said that personnel "were unharmed and are in good health".

"We have suspended our activity in Aden due to the security situation but will soon return to work," he said.

Security fragile

An ICRC statement said that since March the organisation has stepped up its activities in Yemen, and has been providing vital humanitarian support to around a million people in Aden.

The port city was the scene of months of intense fighting between troops loyal to exiled President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi and Shi'ite rebels who overran it in March.

Desperately needed aid has begun to arrive since loyalists recaptured Aden in mid-July, but security remains fragile.

Al-Qaeda militants were accused on Saturday of blowing up a building used by the secret police.

They also set up checkpoints in one district and seized five buildings including an intelligence services facility, a presidential residence and a military hospital, security officials said.

Last week, Aden governor Nayef al-Bakri survived a rocket attack that killed four people and wounded 20 others. The assailants were not identified.

Read more on:    icrc  |  abedrabbo mansour hadi  |  yemen

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.