Republican hopefuls reject white supremacist's money

2015-06-22 23:09


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Washington - Three Republican presidential candidates say they are donating to charity the contributions they received from the leader of a white supremacist group mentioned by the alleged perpetrator of last week's massacre at a historic black church in Charleston.

White House hopeful Senator Ted Cruz will return the $8 500 in donations he has received since 2012 from Earl Holt III, president of the Council of Conservative Citizens, a Cruz aide told The Guardian on Sunday.

The group is listed as racist and extremist by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks US hate groups.

Holt has given dozens of times to numerous candidates in recent years, including members of the US Senate and House of Representatives, totalling at least $56 000, according to figures compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics.

Aside from Cruz, two other presidential candidates have received donations from Holt: Senator Rand Paul got $1 750, and former senator Rick Santorum received $1 500, apparently during his previous presidential campaign.

"Rather than put more money back in the pockets of such an individual, my 2012 campaign committee will be donating the amount of his past donations to the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund to support the victims of this tragedy," Santorum said on Monday in a statement.

"I abhor the sentiments Mr Holt has expressed. These statements and sentiments are unacceptable," Santorum added.

"Our campaign is about, and has always been about, uniting America, not dividing her."

Paul's chief strategist, Doug Stafford, said the RandPAC political action committee will donate the contributions to the fund to assist families of the nine people who were shot dead on Wednesday at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in South Carolina.

The alleged Charleston killer, Dylann Roof, is believed to have created a website where he wrote about black-on-white violence, citing figures that he found on the website of Holt's organisation.

Holt, in a statement on his site, said his group was "hardly responsible for the actions of this deranged individual merely because he gleaned accurate information from our website".

Read more on:    us  |  charleston shooting  |  us elections 2016

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.