Reuters editor charged for hacking

2013-03-15 08:11
Thomson Reuters Times Square building. (Chris Hondros, AFP)

Thomson Reuters Times Square building. (Chris Hondros, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Washington - US federal authorities charged a Reuters social media editor on Thursday with conspiring with the hacktivist group Anonymous to break into and alter an online Los Angeles Times article.

Matthew Keys, aged 26, was indicted in California on three counts of felonies related to hacking before his current Reuters post. He faces up to 10 years in prison and a $250 000 fine.

According to the federal grand jury indictment in Sacramento, Keys provided Anonymous members with login credentials to a computer server belonging to Tribune Co., which owns the Times, in December 2010 and told them to "go fuck some shit up."

He had been fired from his post as a Web producer at a Tribune-owned television station in Sacramento - KTXL FOX 40 - two months before.

A hacker then used the credentials provided by Keys to log into the Tribune server, and ultimately made changes to the online version of a Los Angeles Times news story.

The conspiracy aimed to "make unauthorised changes to websites that Tribune Company used to communicate news features to the public; and to damage computer systems used by Tribune Company."

Business as usual

Keys, widely followed via his previously used Twitter handle @ProducerMatthew, is currently a deputy social media editor at Reuters, a unit of Thomson Reuters.

"Thomson Reuters is committed to obeying the rules and regulations in every jurisdiction in which it operates," a company spokesperson said in a statement.

"Any legal violations, or failures to comply with the company's own strict set of principles and standards, can result in disciplinary action."

The statement stressed that Keys joined Reuters in 2012, more than a year after the alleged crimes.

Keys turned to Twitter to react to the indictment hours after it was handed down in court - and said he learned of the news via the social network.

"I am fine. I found out the same way most of you did: From Twitter. Tonight I'm going to take a break. Tomorrow, business as usual," he said via his new Twitter handle @TheMatthewKeys.

Read more on:    anonymous  |  reuters  |  us  |  online security  |  cybercrime  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.