S Korea defence chief apologises for shooter remarks

2014-06-27 11:21
(Yonhap, Hwang Kwang-mo, AP)

(Yonhap, Hwang Kwang-mo, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul - South Korea's defence minister apologised on Friday to the relatives of victims of a shooting rampage by an army conscript for suggesting that those killed had been bullying the gunman.

The shooting took place on Saturday when a 22-year-old sergeant, surnamed Lim, opened fire on members of his own unit at a guard post near the tense border with North Korea, killing five and wounding seven.

Lim was captured alive on Monday after a 24-hour stand off with thousands of troops ended when he shot himself in the chest.

Minister Kim Kwan-Jin had infuriated the families of Lim's victims when he suggested, in a recent meeting with lawmakers, that bullying had been a factor behind the shooting spree.

"I feel sorry for hurting the hearts of the bereaved families by causing a misunderstanding that bullying was a motive," Kim said in a statement.

"We will thoroughly bring the truth to light in order not to damage the reputation of the victims," he said.

'Bullying drove him to dispair'

Barrack-room bullying is a sensitive issue in South Korea, where the vast majority of personnel are those serving their mandatory two-year military service.

Mistreatment of fresh conscripts used to be rampant and was blamed for a number of suicides and similar shooting sprees in the past.

Measures have been taken to stamp out the practice, but experts say those who struggle to adapt to military life are often isolated and humiliated.

Lim joined the army in 2012 and was only three months away from being discharged.

He had difficulty adapting to the military, and psychological evaluations had advised senior officials to pay special attention to him.

Before his unsuccessful suicide attempt, Lim wrote a suicide note that media reports say detailed how bullying drove him to despair.

The defence ministry has refused to release the note or confirm its contents.

Read more on:    south korea

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Millions of plastic particles in our food!

Scientists and researchers believe that almost five million tons of plastic is dumped in the oceans every year and it’s affecting our food.



Plastic on your plate
Prince George the green prince?
Lean, green, drifiting machine
One man's $1 million vision for an eco Africa

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts

Trying to keep time for your social commitments and friendships as well as taking care of work and health obligations can be a...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.