S Korea 'regrets' North's response to talks

2013-05-16 10:03
Workers returning from the Kaesong Industrial Park with boxes loaded on top of their car at a gate of the inter-Korean transit office in the border city of Paju. (Kim Jae-Hwan, AFP)

Workers returning from the Kaesong Industrial Park with boxes loaded on top of their car at a gate of the inter-Korean transit office in the border city of Paju. (Kim Jae-Hwan, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul - South Korea voiced regret on Thursday at North Korea's decision to spurn an offer of formal talks on removing goods from a joint industrial complex closed by military tensions.

"It's very regrettable," said Unification Ministry spokesperson Kim Hyung-Suk, again urging Pyongyang to negotiate over the South Korean firms forced to withdraw from the Kaesong zone, 10km inside North Korea.

At the request of President Park Geun-Hye, the Unification Ministry formally proposed talks at the truce village of Panmunjom in the Demilitarised Zone which bisects the Korean peninsula.

But the North reacted negatively on Wednesday, calling the offer "a crafty ploy" to deflect blame for the suspension of operations at Kaesong.

Established in 2004 as a rare symbol of inter-Korean co-operation, the joint industrial zone was the most high-profile casualty of two months of elevated tensions that followed the North's nuclear test in February.

The North barred South Korean access to the zone and pulled out its own 53 000 workers early last month. Seoul withdrew the last of its nationals 10 days ago.

Act 'gentlemanly'

When they left, officials from the firms loaded up cars with bundles of products, but were still forced to leave large stocks of goods behind.

Neither side has officially declared a permanent shutdown of Kaesong, with the South continuing to supply a minimum amount of electricity to the empty complex.

Pyongyang has said restarting the complex would require Seoul to cease all "hostile acts and military provocations" including joint military drills with Washington.

The last group of South Koreans left Kaesong on 3 May after the South sent $13m in cash to the North to cover unpaid wages and taxes.

On Wednesday, President Park said the North had a responsibility to return company property once all the outstanding dues had been paid.

"If North Korea holds on to the finished products and raw materials ... it will push itself into a corner," Park said, urging Pyongyang to do the "gentlemanly" thing.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.