Saudi clerics approve fewer hajj pilgrims

2013-06-26 21:53
An aerial view shows Muslim pilgrims walking around the Kaaba in the Grand Mosque of the holy city of Mecca during the annual Hajj pilgrimage rituals. (Fayez Nureldine, AFP)

An aerial view shows Muslim pilgrims walking around the Kaaba in the Grand Mosque of the holy city of Mecca during the annual Hajj pilgrimage rituals. (Fayez Nureldine, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Riyadh - Saudi Arabia's religious authorities on Wednesday approved a request by the government to reduce the number of pilgrims permitted at Islam's annual hajj this year to allow expansion work at Mecca's Grand Mosque.

The decision to reduce numbers from abroad by a fifth, and from inside Saudi Arabia by half, comes as the kingdom's authorities attempt to contain the SARS-like coronavirus MERS, but the authorities drew no link between the issues.

Last year more than 3 million pilgrims travelled to Mecca for the pilgrimage, which all Muslims must perform at least once in their lifetime, if they are capable.

The ruling al-Saud family stakes much of its legitimacy on its guardianship of Islam's holiest sites in Mecca and Medina and has in recent years spent billions of dollars to expand the main pilgrimage areas and improve their safty.

King Abdullah carries the official title Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques.

But critics have also attacked the conservative Sunni dynasty for razing some historical sites that date from the time of the Prophet Mohammed and are particularly important to Shi'ite Muslims in order to facilitate the expansion programmes.

In statements carried by the official Saudi Press Agency on Wednesday, the Supreme Judicial Council said the reduction in pilgrim numbers was legitimate to ensure safety while work was carried out to allow more pilgrims to come in future.

Similar statements were made by top officials at the Prophet's Mosque in Medina and the Great Mosque in Mecca.

Saudi Arabia has so far had 62 confirmed cases of MERS, a respiratory infection, of which 34 patients died.

On Saturday international health experts meeting at the World Health Organisation's Cairo office said countries where MERS was a risk should put in place plans to handle any mass public gatherings.

This year hajj will be in October, but many pilgrims will also seek to visit Mecca in July during the fasting month of Ramadan.

Read more on:    saudi arabia  |  religion  |  hajj

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.