Search for Malaysia Airlines MH370 could go on for another year

2015-09-04 20:04


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sydney - The search in the southern Indian Ocean for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane could go on for another year until the most likely crash area has been covered, Australian and Malaysian officials said on Friday.

Australian Transport Minister Warren Truss said he hoped French confirmation that a flaperon found on Reunion Island in July belonged to MH370 provided some sort of closure for families of the passengers and crew members.

"We are confident we are looking in the right area," Truss said, adding it was frustrating the search had gone on so long without a result since the Boeing 777 disappeared on March 2014, with 227 passengers and 12 crew on board.

Two ships towing sonar vehicles have covered 60 000 of the 120 000km2

of the southern Indian Ocean where it is believed the plane went down after veering off course for an unknown reason after taking off from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

"The latest news, where the French authorities in Toulouse have further verified the piece of evidence found, definitely confirms the need to continue the search," Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai told reporters in Kuala Lumpur.

"The strategic working group of Malaysia, China and Australia will get into action to intensify the search with the hope of finding more evidence as to the cause of the likely crash and eventually find the missing jetliner," he added.

Truss said that once the area of highest probability had been covered, the countries involved had agreed the search would end, Truss said.

The weather in the southern Indian Ocean should improve through spring and into summer and that will accelerate the search. 

The French prosecutor's office said on Thursday that a wing part found on Reunion Island on July 29, 16 months after the flight disappeared, belonged to the missing aircraft.

French President Francois Hollande on Friday met with the families of four French passengers who were on board the plane, the Elysee Palace said in a statement.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.