Secret Service chief: White House breach unacceptable

2014-09-30 17:01
Julia Pierson

Julia Pierson

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Washington - The head of the Secret Service took responsibility on Tuesday for security lapses at the White House, saying a recent intrusion by a knife-wielding man was "unacceptable" and would not occur again.

"This is unacceptable. I take full responsibility and it will never happen again," Secret Service director Julia Pierson told US lawmakers angered by a series of security failures at the presidential mansion.

Pierson, who was sworn in to the elite agency's top job in March 2013 after decades as a Secret Service officer, said a thorough investigation had been launched into how a US army veteran carrying a knife could jump the fence, run across the lawn, dash through the front doors of the White House and run into the ceremonial East Room before being apprehended.

Saying the Secret Service had its "share of challenges" in recent years, she referred to a string of headline-grabbing security scandals that has put the service under intense scrutiny.

"I intend over the coming months to redouble my efforts, not only in response to this incident, but in general to bring the Secret Service to a level of performance that lives up to the vital mission we perform, the important individuals we protect, and the American people we serve," she told the House Government Oversight Committee.

Pierson got an earful from committee chairperson Darrell Issa, who blasted the Secret Service for its "history of misbehaviour and security failures".

He said it was "amazing and unacceptable" that an intruder made it into the White House.

"Inexplicably, Omar Gonzalez breached at least 'five rings' of security on September 19th," Issa told Pierson.

"The fact is, the system broke down on 19 September as it did when the Salahis crashed a state dinner in November 2009, or when Oscar Ortega-Hernandez successfully shot at the White House on November 2011," Issa said.

The 2011 incident was only made public last weekend in an explosive Washington Post report that revealed that it took the Secret Service five days to realise a man had fired shots at the White House while one of President Barack Obama's daughters was inside.

The committee's top Democrat, Elijah Cummings, expressed outrage at the latest breach.

"I hate to even imagine what could have happened if Gonzalez had been carrying a gun instead of a knife when he burst inside the White House," Cummings said.

Read more on:    us

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.