Septic tank fumes kill 4
Yangon - Biogas released from a septic tank that had not been cleaned for more than a decade killed four sanitation workers in northern Myanmar, news reports said on Thursday.
Four out of the six sewage cleaners died of suffocation on Tuesday in Pwinthyu town, 530km north-west of Yangon, after being overcome by fumes released from a septic tank they were emptying, the New Light of Myanmar reported.
Villagers rescued the collapsed crew from the tank and rushed them to a nearby hospital. Two of the men survived the ordeal.
Septic tank deaths are common in Myanmar, where public sanitation services are limited, the government mouthpiece said.