Serbs arrest war crimes suspect

2010-01-03 21:26

Belgrade - Serb police have arrested a man suspected of war crimes during the 1992-1995 war in Bosnia-Herzegovina, including the killing of 19 civilians, the prosecutor's office told local television on Sunday.

Darko Jankovic had been "wanted for a long time", a spokesperson for the court's prosecutor's office, Bruno Vekaric, said in a statement to the B92 television station.

"His name is linked to several crimes mainly in the cultural centre at Celopek where 19 people were killed," Vekaric said. The area is in eastern Bosnia.

The Bosnian war claimed around 100 000 lives and forced 2.2 million people to flee their homes, a number equal to half the pre-war population.

The man most wanted for his role as military chief in the war is Ratko Mladic, accused of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity, including participation in the Srebrenica massacre of some 8 000 Muslim men and boys.