Shipwreck captain Schettino to go on trial

2013-07-05 11:05
Francesco Schettino (Picture: AP)

Francesco Schettino (Picture: AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rome - Francesco Schettino, captain of the ill-fated Costa Concordia cruise ship will go on trial in Italy on Tuesday, facing manslaughter charges over the liner's tragic sinking which cost 32 lives.

The courtroom drama could involve up to 450 witnesses and 250 plaintiffs, although the actual start of deliberations may have to be postponed because of a lawyers' strike on the same day.

Schettino, aged 52, faces three charges for multiple manslaughter, as well as causing environmental damage and abandoning the ship before all the passengers had been evacuated.

He has been dubbed "Captain Coward" by the tabloids but his defence claims he is being scapegoated and the blame for the wreck should be spread more widely, including the company.

Four other crew members and a manager from ship owner Costa Crociere who were also suspects have entered plea bargains likely to be formalised at separate court hearings starting on Monday.

They include Roberto Ferrarini, the head of ship owner Costa Crociere's crisis unit, and Jacob Rusli Bin, the ship's Indonesian helmsman.

Large numbers expected at trial


Ferrarini, who was in constant contact with Schettino on the night of the disaster, faces a sentence of two years and 10 months in prison.

Costa Crociere, Europe's top cruise operator, earlier admitted responsibility as Schettino's employer and was ordered to pay €1m in a controversial ruling that has excluded it from criminal proceedings.

Because of the large numbers expected at Schettino's trial, hearings will be held in a theatre in Grosseto, the city closest to the scene of the accident - the island of Giglio.

Criminal trials in Italy usually last for months or even years and some survivors have complained about the delay in bringing the case to court.

Hearings will also be held on 17, 18 and 19 July.

A court official told AFP that the initial hearing on Tuesday could be wrapped up immediately if Schettino's defendants declare that they intend to adhere to a national lawyers' strike.

100 witnesses


Among the 347 witnesses called by the prosecution is Domnica Cemortan, a young Moldovan woman who was in Schettino's company at the time of impact.

Another is coast guard official Gregorio De Falco, whose angry phone call to Schettino on the night of the disaster went viral after being leaked.

Schettino's lawyers have called 100 witnesses.

Schettino has maintained media silence for months.

In the few remarks he has made, he has said he is "not afraid" of going to prison.

"I am at peace with my conscience," he said.

Panicky evacuation


"I will go to trial knowing that I can explain what happened, calmly."

Asked whether he felt guilty about the lives lost in the disaster, he said: "I do not write fate".

His lawyers had requested a plea bargain but were turned down by the prosecutor's office.

The Costa Concordia crashed into a rock off Giglio on the night of 13 January 2012 with 4 229 people from 70 countries on board.

The ship, with a gross tonnage of 114 500 tons, veered wildly and then capsized.

A panicky evacuation was badly delayed and hampered because some lifeboats failed to deploy.

Civil suit

Hundreds of people were forced to jump into the sea to escape the sinking ship, many of them still wearing their formal evening wear.

Among the plaintiffs in the case are Costa Crociere, the Italian state and Giglio.

Dozens of survivors have also launched civil lawsuits against Costa.

Most of the survivors who were not injured or did not lose loved ones have accepted the compensation of around €11 000 offered by Costa.

The ghostly wreck of the liner is still beached on its side near the shore of Giglio, a popular holiday destination that has seen a drop in tourist arrivals following the disaster.

Salvage crews are working to stabilise, refloat and tow away the hulk in an unprecedented operation that has been severely delayed.

Read more on:    costa  |  francesco schettino  |  italy  |  maritime  |  cruise line disaster

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.