Shutdown looms for Hong Kong protest camp

2014-12-09 13:27
(Philippe Lopez, AFP)

(Philippe Lopez, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Hong Kong - Hong Kong pro-democracy activists have until Thursday morning to leave a sprawling protest camp that's blocked traffic in the Chinese financial hub for more than two months before authorities clear it out, a lawyer said on Tuesday.

Authorities are set to move in after a court order authorised the removal of barricades, tents and other obstructions from the Admiralty district, site of the protesters' main camp downtown, setting the stage for one last showdown with activists demanding greater democracy.

Workers will dismantle the protest camp starting at 09:00, said Paul Tse, a lawyer for the bus company that took out the injunction.

"What I would like to do now is to perhaps make a public plea to the students to stay away from the scene when there is plenty of time," he told reporters, adding the company wanted to give protesters enough time to pack their belongings and leave the site.

He said the court order, which was published in newspapers on Tuesday, would be posted at the Admiralty site in the afternoon.

3000 police officers

About 3000 police officers would be deployed for the operation, the South China Morning Post newspaper reported, citing unidentified police sources.

The student-led protesters have been occupying streets for 73 days to press their demands for greater democracy.

Another protest site in the rough-and-tumble Mong Kok neighborhood was shut down late last month by authorities enforcing a separate court order. The aggressive police operation sparked several nights of violent clashes in the neighborhood's tight grid of streets, resulting in about 160 arrests.

The South China Morning Post said the third and smallest protest site, in the Causeway Bay district, is also expected to be dismantled on Thursday, although it is not covered by any court order.

The city's leader, Leung Chun-ying, said officers would use "minimum force" in assisting court workers to shut the site down. Earlier this week he said they were expected to encounter "fierce resistance".

Dwindling numbers

Organisers said as many as 200 000 people joined the protests early on, but numbers have since dwindled and only dozens now remain at the Admiralty camp, next to city government headquarters.

Options are narrowing for the student protest leaders as the government maintains an apparent strategy of waiting them out.

The Hong Kong Federation of Students, one of the groups organising the protests, said last week it's mulling a retreat but has not yet made a decision.

The group had earlier led a failed bid to surround the headquarters complex that resulted in a night of violent clashes in a desperate last-minute push to pressure the government over Beijing's requirement to screen candidates in the inaugural 2017 election for the city's top leader.

Joshua Wong, a teenager who has become the protest movement's most prominent leader, abandoned a hunger strike on the weekend after nearly five days on doctor's orders. Of the four other members of his Scholarism group who had joined him, only one is still refusing food.

Read more on:    hong kong

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.