South Korea lifts travel ban on Japanese journalists

2015-04-14 08:58
Tatsuya Kato, former Seoul bureau chief of Japan's Sankei Shimbun, arrives at the Seoul Central District Court in Seoul. (Ahn Young-joon, AP)

Tatsuya Kato, former Seoul bureau chief of Japan's Sankei Shimbun, arrives at the Seoul Central District Court in Seoul. (Ahn Young-joon, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul - South Korea lifted a travel ban on a Japanese journalist on trial for a charge of defaming South Korean President Park Geun-hye, a prosecution official said on Tuesday, removing what has been an irritant in bilateral relations.

South Korean prosecutors in October indicted the former Seoul bureau chief of Japan's Sankei Shimbun newspaper, Tatsuya Kato, after concluding a news article he wrote about Park on 3 August was based on "false information."

An official at the prosecutors' office said the travel ban against Kato had been lifted, without elaborating.

South Korean media said the decision was made on "humanitarian consideration" because his mother is ailing and he has been apart from his family in Japan for eight months.

Kato was not arrested but had been barred from leaving South Korea.

Kato told Reuters he did not have immediate plans to leave South Korea for Japan, and planned to continue attending his trial. The next hearing is scheduled for Monday.

Japan's embassy in Seoul declined to make any immediate comment.

The 3 August report in Sankei related to Park's whereabouts on 16 April last year, the day a ferry carrying 476 people capsized and sank. More than 300 people died in the country's worst maritime disaster in more than 40 years.

Japan has protested the indictment saying it was regrettable and that Tokyo was concerned that the legal action could infringe press freedom and negatively affect bilateral ties.

Relations between the two countries have cooled over what South Korea sees as Japanese leaders' reluctance to properly atone for its colonial wartime past, and in particular over the issue of Korean "comfort women" as those forced to work in Japanese military brothels during World War Two are known.

But the two countries and China have sought to overcome diplomatic tensions, pledging at a foreign ministers' meeting last month to work toward a summit of their leaders.

Read more on:    park geun-hye  |  japan  |  south korea  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.