Syria claims it destroyed jets seized by ISIS

2014-10-22 17:58
(Royal Bahraini Air Force)

(Royal Bahraini Air Force)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Damascus - The Syrian air force has destroyed two of three jets seized and reportedly test flown over Aleppo by the Islamic State group last week, according to the country's information minister.

Omran al-Zoubi told Syrian TV late on Tuesday that Syrian aircraft bombed the jets as they were landing at Jarrah airbase in the eastern countryside of Aleppo province. He said the militants were able to hide a third jet, which the Syrian air force is now searching for.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights earlier had reported that ISIS militants flew three MiG fighter jets over the Jarraj air base with the help of former Iraqi air force pilots who were now members of the militant group. The report could not be independently confirmed, and US officials said they had no reports of the militants flying jets.

The group is known to have seized fighter jets from at least one air base it captured from the Syrian army in Raqqa province earlier this year. Militant websites had posted photos of ISIS fighters with the warplanes, but it was unclear if they were operational.

Al-Zoubi described the aircraft as old and suggested they were no longer useful as military equipment.

Rami Abdurrahman, director of the Observatory, said on Wednesday he had no confirmation that the Syrian air force destroyed any of the jets. The group collects information from a network of activists inside Syria.

Al-Zoubi, in the interview, accused Turkey of using the report about the seized jets to help push for the creation of a no-fly zone in Syria. He said Kobani, where Kurdish fighters are defending against an onslaught by Islamic State group fighters, is a Syrian city and that a no-fly zone is a "red line".

Meanwhile, Kurdish officials and doctors said they believed Islamic State militants had released some kind of toxic gas in a district in the eastern part of Kobani.

Aysa Abdullah, a senior Kurdish official based in the town, said the attack took place late on Tuesday, and that a number of people suffered symptoms that included dizziness and watery eyes. She and other officials said doctors in Kobani lacked the necessary equipment to determine the nature of the chemicals used.

The reports could not be independently confirmed. Kurdish officials have made similar claims before.

Read more on:    isis  |  syria

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.