Syria rebels in decisive Aleppo attack

2012-09-27 19:19


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Aleppo - Several thousand Syrian rebels on Thursday launched what they said would be a decisive battle for control of the strategic northern city of Aleppo.

"Tonight, Aleppo will be ours or we will be defeated," Abu Furat, a rebel commander, told AFP.

His announcement came after more than 300 people were killed nationwide on Wednesday in what the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said was the bloodiest day of the 18-month conflict so far.

An AFP correspondent saw dozens of rebels grouping in Aleppo's northern Izaa quarter and firing mortars as they spoke to other groups by walkie-talkie.

In a video posted on YouTube in the name of the most important rebel unit, the Al-Tawhid Brigade, a man in civilian clothing clutching a walkie-talkie is seen giving instructions.

"Today the attack against Bashar's army began on all fronts," he says, referring to President Bashar Assad's forces. "God willing, today's battle in Aleppo will be decisive".

"Don't kill any prisoners," he orders. "Disarm them and hand them over to the security committee of the revolution. Each man to his post."

The Observatory reported fierce combat in the early evening in the districts of Izaa and Saif al-Dawla in the southwest, involving "hundreds of rebel fighters".

Aleppo has seen raging clashes since July, when rebels launched an offensive to capture the commercial capital. After some early successes, the rebel campaign slowed because of a shortage of ammunition.


At least seven civilians were killed on Thursday in the northern metropolis as troops pummelled districts across the southwest and the east, the Britain-based Observatory said.

The violence came after a car bomb exploded at an army checkpoint overnight in the northwest province of Idlib, about 25km south of Aleppo on the highway to Damascus.

Rebels then attacked the checkpoint and fierce clashes raged, the watchdog said.

In what appeared to be the same attack, a military source said clashes erupted overnight at a checkpoint in the same area after a minibus exploded.

"When we saw the bus with just one driver and no one else in it, we thought it was suspicious and told him to stop. He didn't and when we shot the driver the bus veered off the road and exploded," the source told AFP.

A large rebel force then attacked the checkpoint, according to the source, who said the fighting lasted until 07:30 (04:30 GMT) when the rebels withdrew.

The Observatory also reported that unidentified attackers blew up an oil pipeline in the northeast province of Hasaka, Syria's main oil-producing region.

In Idlib province, five civilians, including four children, died in army bombardment of Khan Sheikhun, according to the Observatory.

Activist footage posted on YouTube showed pandemonium in the town, as men formed lines in a race to move chunks of rubble and the crowd began shouting as a small limp girl was lifted up and handed to a grey-haired man.

The authenticity of the video could not be verified independently.

At least 59 people - 38 civilians, 16 soldiers and five rebels - were killed nationwide on Thursday, the watchdog said.

More than 30 000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of the revolt, said the Observatory, which gathers its information from a network of activists, doctors, lawyers and other sources on the ground.

Read more on:    syria  |  syria conflict

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Millions of plastic particles in our food!

Scientists and researchers believe that almost five million tons of plastic is dumped in the oceans every year and it’s affecting our food.



Plastic on your plate
Prince George the green prince?
Lean, green, drifiting machine
One man's $1 million vision for an eco Africa

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts

Trying to keep time for your social commitments and friendships as well as taking care of work and health obligations can be more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.