Syrian army kill 260 in blast 'massacre'
Beirut - Syria's army randomly bombarded the protest hub of Homs early on Saturday, killing at least 260 civilians in one of the "most horrific massacres" in the country's uprising, an opposition group said.
In a statement sent to AFP in Beirut, the Syrian National Council also called on the world to act, and demanded that Russia change its position, condemn President Bashar al-Assad's regime and allow democracy.
"In the early morning hours of Saturday, January 4 2012 the Assad regime committed one of the most horrific massacres since the beginning of the uprising in Syria" in March last year, said the SNC.
"Assad forces randomly bombed residential areas in Homs, including Khaldiyeh and Qusur, which resulted in at least 260 civilians killed and hundreds of wounded, including men, women, and children.
"The Syrian National Council calls on everyone around the world to speak up and do something to stop the bloodshed of innocent Syrians," it said in the statement.
"The SNC demands that Russia change its position regarding the Syrian regime's massacres.
"The SNC also demands that Russia clearly condemn the regime and hold it responsible for the massacres, to stop the killing in Syria, and allow Syrians to democratically elect a regime that ensures freedom and dignity for all Syrians," it concluded.