Temporary truce begins in 4 Syrian towns

2015-09-21 08:19
(File, AFP)

(File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Damascus - A new temporary truce has begun between pro-government and opposition forces in four Syrian towns, a group that monitors the Syrian conflict has reported.

Sunday's ceasefire began in the rebel-held towns of Zabadani and Madaya outside the capital, Damascus, and the regime-held Shia villages of Fouaa and Kefraya in the north-western province of Idlib near the Turkish border, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Last month, two truces in the four towns did not hold. It is not clear how long the new truce will last or who brokered it.

The Britain-based observatory said that hours before the start of the truce, a coalition of rebels led by the al-Nusra Front seized parts of Fouaa after fierce fighting against pro-government militias backed by the Lebanese Shia Hezbollah movement.

At least 74 rebels and 40 pro-regime fighters have been killed in the area since rebel forces on Wednesday launched a large-scale attack on Fouaa and Kefraya, the last remaining regime strongholds in Idlib.

Most of the province has fallen in recent months to the rebels.

Zabadani and Madaya are among the rebels' last strongholds near Syria's border with Lebanon.

Syrian government troops and allied Hezbollah fighters have been besieging the two mountain towns since July.

The possibility that hardline Sunni rebels, who view Shi'ites as heretics, would be able to overrun Fouaa and Kefraya appears to have persuaded the Syrian regime and Hezbollah to slow down their bid to recapture al-Zabadani and Madaya.

Western-trained fighters

Meanwhile, the Observatory reported that 75 rebel fighters trained by US, British and Turkish forces had entered Syria on Friday night and Saturday morning.

The fighters are thought to be part of a planned US-backed force aimed at fighting ISIS.

The initial US programme, signed off by Congress a year ago, set aside $500m and aimed to train some 5 000 rebel fighters.

But the programme has suffered a series of setbacks, including reported defections by trainees unhappy at instructions that they should fight only ISIS and not government forces.

An initial group of 54 fighters came under attack by the al-Nusra Front after entering Syria in late July, according to the Observatory.

On Wednesday, US Central Command chief General Lloyd Austin admitted that only four or five of the US-trained fighters were operating inside Syria.

- With additional reporting from AFP

Read more on:    syria  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.