Thousands flee homes ahead of expected battle in Afghanistan

2015-05-06 19:35
(Bashir Khan Safi, AP)

(Bashir Khan Safi, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kabul - As many as 10 000 Afghan families have fled their homes as Taliban insurgents and government forces prepared for a major battle for control of the southern fringes of Kunduz city, officials said on Wednesday.

The World Food Programme is preparing food packages for displaced families and expects to start distributing them this weekend.

Afghan security forces and Taliban insurgents backed by foreign jihadists on the outskirts of Kunduz have been in a stand-off for nearly a week since the militants launched an offensive on the city late last month.

The Taliban push on Kunduz, about 500km north of Kabul, is the most serious threat to a provincial capital in years, although government forces insist the city will not fall to the insurgents.

The Afghan army and police are fighting without substantial help from foreign troops, after the Nato military mission ended its combat role at the end of 2014.

Kunduz police spokesperson Sayed Sarwar Hussaini said government forces would soon launch a big offensive to drive the Taliban from Gul Tepa district on the southern outskirts of the city.

He said that the army and police had delayed in order to give civilians time to clear out of the area.

"The Taliban inside the surrounding villages want to use them as human shields, so the villagers have escaped to the central parts of the city," Hussaini said.

More than 10 000 families have officially appealed for aid as refugees of the fighting, said Abdul Salaam Hashemi, the head of Kunduz's refugee department.

He said survey teams were working to verify how many of those families needed aid.

The World Food Programme has verified 300 families in need of aid and is surveying more, spokesperson Wahidullah Amini said.

The UN-affiliated agency is preparing emergency kits of flour, pulses, cooking oil and high-energy biscuits for 500 families, he said, adding that food distribution in Kunduz city would begin on Saturday.

Read more on:    taliban  |  afghanistan

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
6 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.