Tianjin residents accuse government of negligence

2015-08-18 12:10
Medical workers hold flowers at a vigil for the victims of the explosions at a chemical warehouse in Tianjin. (STR / AFP)

Medical workers hold flowers at a vigil for the victims of the explosions at a chemical warehouse in Tianjin. (STR / AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Tianjin - Dozens of angry residents whose homes were badly damaged by huge explosions last week in China's northeastern port city of Tianjin, have accused the government of ignoring their plight and have demanded compensation.

Around 40 residents, holding signs that read "buy back [our homes]", gathered outside a hotel on Tuesday where an official news conference was being held and demanded compensation after their residential apartments were damaged by two huge blasts that ripped through an industrial zone late last Wednesday killing over 100 people.

"Estate management [people] kept saying that they are in negotiation. But now we think it's all nonsense, they just lie to everyone," said 35-year-old resident Fang Qi.

"We, the owners of the properties, went to the office of the letter and complaints bureau yesterday and found out the information that our community had not been reported on, nobody knew it, so they treated it as a de-populated zone."

The explosions sent massive fireballs into the sky and hurled burning debris across the industrial area at the world's 10th-largest port, burning out buildings and shattering windows kilometres away.

More than 700 people were injured in the blast and 70 are still missing, most of them fire fighters, the official Xinhua news agency said.

Another resident, 35-year-old Cai Jiaqi said he was very worried about the overall structure of his home, after the strong shake.
"We don't want to live there anymore. So [we] hope the government can buy back [our homes]."


PHOTO GALLERY: The aftermath of the deadly explosions in Tianjin


Soldiers and rescue workers in gas masks and hazard suits continued to search for toxic materials at the blast site. The goal is to clear the chemicals before any rain falls, which could create further toxic gas.

Officials said environmental standards were still "basically guaranteed" and that there were contingency plans to prevent possible rainfall from creating dangerous gases or spreading contamination.

Some 6 300 people have been displaced by the blasts.

China's top prosecutor, the Supreme People's Procuratorate, has opened an investigation into the warehouse explosions.

Authorities in Tianjin have faced criticism over failing to uphold regulations surrounding the site's operation, notably requirements that warehouses stocking dangerous materials be at least one kilometre from surrounding public buildings and main roads.

Al Jazeera's Adrian Brown, reporting from Tianjin, said the latest incident has placed renewed attention on China's "appalling safety record" in areas of industrial safety.
"This is the 12th incident involving chemicals in China this year. And the sad thing is, people are no longer surprised by events like this. The question is whether things would be different this time in terms of the investigation that has now begun."

Industrial accidents are not uncommon in China after three decades of fast economic growth.

Read more on:    china  |  tianjin blast

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.