Toulouse shooter planned fresh attack
Toulouse - French President Nicolas Sarkozy told religious community representatives the suspected Islamist gunman besieged in Toulouse had planned another attack on Wednesday, a Jewish leader said.
A police source also told AFP the suspect, who has been identified as self-declared Islamist Mohamed Merah, planned to kill another soldier.
Nicole Yardeni, head of the CRIF Jewish group in the Midi-Pyrenees region, said Sarkozy had told them the shooter "already had a plan to kill again" and that "he planned to kill this morning".
The police source said the suspect had "told investigators this morning that he had decided to kill a soldier in Toulouse on Wednesday morning and had already identified the victim."
Sarkozy met with the Jewish representatives in a police station near where police were besieging the home of a 23-year-old suspected Islamist militant believed to be behind the killings of three soldiers last week and three children and a teacher at a Jewish school on Monday.
Sarkozy left the station without making any comments after the meeting and later arrived at a military barracks in nearby Montauban for a ceremony in honour of the three dead soldiers.