News24

Trayvon Martin shooter in police custody

2012-06-04 11:00

Miami - George Zimmerman, the neighbourhood watch volunteer charged with murder in the killing of an unarmed black teenager, surrendered to police on Sunday and was booked into jail after having his bail revoked two days earlier.

The shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin sparked protests across the US, and spurred debate about whether race was a factor in Zimmerman's actions and in the initial police handling of the case. Martin was black; Zimmerman's father is white and his mother is from Peru.

Zimmerman's legal team said in a tweet that he was in police custody. Zimmerman's bail was revoked because the judge said he and his wife lied to the court about their finances so he could obtain a lower bond.

On Sunday afternoon, about 40 minutes before the 14:30 deadline to surrender, Zimmerman was listed as an inmate on the jail website. He was listed as being held without bail and having $500 in his jail account.

Seminole County Sheriff Donald Eslinger said Zimmerman turned himself in to two sheriff's office employees around 13:25 near the jail, and was then driven to the jail.

Zimmerman arrived in a white minivan and did not respond to questions from reporters as he walked inside, handcuffed and wearing blue jeans, sneakers and a button-down shirt.

Misunderstanding

The Seminole County Sheriff's Office said Zimmerman would be in a cell by himself, separated from the general population, because the case is so high-profile.

The 6.2m² cell is equipped with a toilet, two beds, a mattress, pillow, blanket and bed sheets. Zimmerman will not have access to a TV.

Prosecutors had said Zimmerman and his wife Shellie told the judge at a bond hearing in April that they had limited money, even though he had raised about $135 000 through a website. Defence attorneys said the matter was a misunderstanding.

Attorney Mark O'Mara announced earlier on Sunday on his website that Zimmerman had arrived in Florida late on Saturday evening ahead of his surrender. Zimmerman, who is charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Martin, was ordered by a judge Friday to return to jail.

During a bond hearing in April, the couple had indicated they had limited funds. But prosecutors say Zimmerman had raised thousands through a website he had set up for his legal defence.

Zimmerman's legal team said on Sunday that they will ask for a new bond hearing to address those concerns, and that they hope Zimmerman's voluntary surrender will show he is not a flight risk.

Credibility an issue


 Furthermore, the money Zimmerman has raised is in an independent trust and cannot be directly accessed by Zimmerman or his attorneys, according to the press release.

Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty to the second-degree murder charge. He maintains he shot Martin in self-defence under Florida's so-called "stand your ground" law because the teen, who was unarmed, was beating him up after confronting Zimmerman about following him in a gated community in the town of Sanford outside Orlando.

Zimmerman's credibility could become an issue at trial, legal experts said, noting the case hinges on jurors believing Zimmerman's account of what happened the night in February that Martin was killed.

Police in Sanford did not immediately arrest Zimmerman, citing the Florida law that gives wide latitude to use deadly force rather than retreat in a fight if people believe they are in danger of being killed or seriously injured.

Zimmerman was arrested 44 days after the killing.

Prosecutors pointed out in their motion that Zimmerman had $135 000 available when the bond hearing was held in April. It had been raised from donations through a website he had set up. They suggested more has been collected since and deposited in a bank account.

Hearing scheduled

Shellie Zimmerman was asked about the website at the hearing, but she said she didn't know how much money had been raised. Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester set bail at $150 000. The 28-year-old was freed a few days later after posting $15 000 in cash - which is typical.

Prosecutor Bernie De la Rionda complained on Friday, "This court was led to believe they didn't have a single penny. It was misleading and I don't know what words to use other than it was a blatant lie." The judge agreed and ordered Zimmerman returned to jail by Sunday afternoon.

The defence countered that Zimmerman and his wife never used the money for anything, which indicated "there was no deceit".

The judge said he would schedule a hearing after Zimmerman is back in custody so he could explain himself.

Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Trayvon Martin's parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, said his clients have always said Zimmerman should remain in jail until trial.

Comments
  • James - 2012-06-04 14:00

    Zimmermans father is Jewish, He was arrested and released. Race hustlers like Jesse Jaaackson "I spat in white peoples food as a waiter" Al Sharpton Tawana Brawley, between the two they destroyed several white cops careers. New Black Pnthers put a price on Zimmirmans head a felony,AG Holder did zero. Dozens innocent whites have been brutally beaten "For Trayvon" by black mobs. This guy is not guilty has was attacked. Martin was a 6ft tall thug.

  • ggrutledge - 2012-06-04 15:43

    Maybe it's time for the judge to enforce the Florida Law regarding presenting false information at a bond hearing: Florida Statute 903.035 para 3 (google) States that presenting false information at a 2nd degree murder bond hearing is a 3rd degree felony crime punishable by up to 5 years in prison.

  • pages:
  • 1