Two more charged over Turkey mine disaster

2014-05-19 16:16
People stand in front of a hospital as they wait for news of relatives in Soma. (Bulent Kilic, AFP)

People stand in front of a hospital as they wait for news of relatives in Soma. (Bulent Kilic, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Ankara - Two more officials in Turkey have been charged with manslaughter as the government promised "a plan of action" to improve mining safety after the country's worst mining disaster claimed 301 lives, a spokesperson said on Monday.

A total of five officials from mining company Soma Komur have now been charged with manslaughter, news agency Dogan reported, with more due before prosecutors on Monday.

Meanwhile, the government said it would outline improved controls on mining safety this week, focusing on improved coordination between supervising agencies, according to a spokesperson quoted in the daily Sabah newspaper.

Ankara may also ratify the International Labour Organisation's convention on mining health and safety, the paper added.

According to the ILO, Turkey had the highest number of work deaths in Europe in 2012, and the third highest in the world. From 2002 to 2012, more than 1 000 Turkish miners have been killed.

Manslaughter charges

Since last Tuesday's explosion at the Soma mine, the government and mining officials have been accused of negligence, sparking protests in several towns and cities.

A total of 25 mining officials were detained for questioning by the police on Sunday under orders from investigators.

The five charged with manslaughter include general manager of Soma Komur, Akin Celik, as well as two engineers and two supervisors, Dogan reported.

The lead prosecutor in Soma, Bekir Sahiner, ruled out on Sunday that an electrical fault triggered the fire that spread through the mine.

Rescue operations were suspended on Saturday as information from families suggested that all the bodies had been recovered.

Police have used tear gas and water cannons to disperse large protests in Turkey's main cities, and another demonstration is planned in Ankara on Monday.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    turkey
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Win over Boks was 'massive' for Japanese rugby
Girls be hating the fat boys
VIDEO: Six of the best dummy passes from the RWC
Boks can brace for Wales - bookies
Traffic Alerts

It is always easier to notice the faults in others rather than face our own. Focusing too much on the perfect and ideal more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.