UK mom confronted soldier 'butchers'

2013-05-23 07:53
A video grab image taken from footage obtained from The Sun shows one of the men involved in the murder of a man believed to be a serving British soldier gesturing as he speaks. (The Sun, AFP)

A video grab image taken from footage obtained from The Sun shows one of the men involved in the murder of a man believed to be a serving British soldier gesturing as he speaks. (The Sun, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Video

Woolwich attacker speaks on camera

2013-05-23 08:38

Watch as one of the London machete attackers addresses the camera after the fatal attack on a British soldier. Warning: Graphic content.WATCH

London - A woman who challenged knife-wielding assailants suspected of hacking to death a British soldier in London on Wednesday said she intervened because "it was better having them [the weapons] aimed on one person".

Cub scout leader and mother-of-two Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, aged 48, explained in Thursday's Daily Telegraph that one of the men told her they wanted "to start a war in London tonight" when she asked them why they had carried out the attack.

The mother-of-two ran from a passing bus after seeing the victim lying in the road and tried to take his pulse.

It was only then that she noticed the arsenal of weapons, including knives and a revolver.

"He was not high, he was not on drugs, he was not an alcoholic or drunk, he was just distressed, upset," she said of the first attacker she talked to, the paper reported.

"I said 'right now it is only you versus many people, you are going to lose, what would you like to do?' and he said 'I would like to stay and fight'."

She later approached the second suspect and asked for him to hand over his weapons.

"I thought it was better having them aimed on one person like me rather than everybody there, children were starting to leave school as well," she told the Telegraph.

Britain's top policeman confirmed two men had been arrested following the "shocking and horrific" attack.

"We have launched a murder investigation, being led by the Counter Terrorism Command," explained Metropolitan Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe

"Two men have been arrested in connection with that murder."


Read more on:    security  |  london soldier attack

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
56 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.