US: Afghan attacks soldier to plead guilty

2013-05-30 07:59
Robert Bales. (File, AP)

Robert Bales. (File, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Los Angeles - A US soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers last year will plead guilty in exchange for escaping the death penalty and is sorry for what he did, his lawyers said on Wednesday.

Sergeant Robert Bales faces charges including 16 counts of murder, six of attempted murder and seven of assault over the massacre in southern Afghanistan in March last year.

Seventeen of the 22 victims were women or children and almost all were shot in the head. Prosecutors called in November for him to face the death penalty, setting a provisional date for court-martial in September.

His lawyer John Browne said on Wednesday that on 5 June, Bales will plead guilty.

"Today we announced that we reached an agreement with the military to take the death penalty off the table if he will plead" guilty, Browne said.

"And then he'll have a sentencing trial in September to determine whether he can get life with parole or whether he will get life without parole," Browne said in video broadcast on the BBC web site.

Anger likely

Asked if Bales was sorry, Browne said: "Absolutely. And I think that will become clear as the process goes forward. He's very relieved that the death penalty is not on the table."

The next hearing is scheduled for next Wednesday at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in the northwestern US state of Washington, where Bales is being held.

It will be "more or less a guilty plea hearing", Browne said.

The plea bargain deal is likely to anger families of the victims who originally wanted him to face justice, and potentially a death penalty, in Afghanistan.

The 39-year-old allegedly left his base in the Panjwayi district of southern Kandahar province on the night of 11 March 2012, to commit the killings, which included nine children. Bales allegedly set several of their bodies on fire.

At a pre-trial hearing in November, Bales's family insisted he was innocent until proven guilty, calling him "courageous and honorable", while his lawyer raised questions about the role of alcohol, drugs and stress in the tragedy.

'Innocent until proven guilty'

But prosecutors lashed the "heinous and despicable" alleged massacre during an eight-day hearing, details of which were given at the military base south of Seattle.

Prosecutors at the so-called Article 32 pre-trial hearing alleged that Bales left the base twice to carry out the killings, returning in between and even telling a colleague what he had done.

The hearing included three evening sessions - daytime in Afghanistan - to hear testimony by video conference from Afghan victims and relatives of those who died.

In a statement read out by the soldier's sister Stephanie Tandberg after last year's hearing, the family said it had yet to learn the how, why and what of the incident.

"Much of the testimony was painful, even heartbreaking, but we are not convinced the government has shown us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about what happened that night," it said.

"As a family, we all grieve deeply for the Afghani families who lost their loved ones on 11 March, but we must all not rush to judgment.

"In America, due process means innocence is always presumed unless and until a trial proves otherwise. There has been no trial yet, and our family member is presumed by law, and by us, to be innocent."

Read more on:    us  |  afghanistan  |  afghanistan shooting

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.