US army drops murder charges in slaying of Iraq boys

2014-10-02 11:27

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seattle - The US Army has dropped premeditated murder charges against a soldier accused of fatally shooting two deaf and unarmed Iraqi boys in 2007 as the cattle-herding teens stumbled across his unit in a palm grove, a military official said on Wednesday.

The Army gave no reason for the decision to drop the charges against Sergeant First Class Michael Barbera, except to say it followed a pre-trial evidentiary proceeding that was convened in April.

"The two charges of murder were dismissed by the general court-martial convening authority," the Army said in a statement, although Barbera still faces charges of obstruction and communicating a threat.

No date has been set for his court-martial at Washington state's Joint Base Lewis-McChord.

Barbera, who is not in pre-trial confinement, faces a maximum punishment of eight years' confinement and a dishonourable discharge if convicted, the Army said.

His military defence counsel, David Coombs, did not immediately respond to request for comment.

The killings for which Barbera was charged came to light after a Pittsburgh newspaper published accounts in 2012 of fellow soldiers concerned over killings by a soldier who escaped serious punishment after an initial Army investigation.

According to the accounts, Barbera was acting as team leader in March 2007 when he gunned down the brothers, aged 14 and 15, from his squad's position in a palm grove in Iraq's Diyala province, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported.

Barbera later told his superiors the boys were insurgents, the newspaper said. But in reality, they were deaf and mute with no known militant affiliations, the paper reported.

The allegations had marked the latest in a series of high-profile international murder cases against US soldiers to unfold at Lewis-McChord, south of Seattle.

Last year, US Army Staff Sergeant Robert Bales pleaded guilty to killing 16 unarmed Afghan civilians in 2012.

Two months earlier, US Army Sergeant John Russell pleaded guilty to shooting five fellow service members to death at a mental health clinic in Baghdad in 2009.

Read more on:    us  |  iraq

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.