US cancels port calls amid Philippine anger over killing

2014-11-03 16:33
Protesters light candles to demand justice in the killing of Filipino transgender Jeffrey 'Jennifer' Laude. (Bullit Marquez, AP)

Protesters light candles to demand justice in the killing of Filipino transgender Jeffrey 'Jennifer' Laude. (Bullit Marquez, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Manila - The US Navy has cancelled visits to the Philippine port of Subic amid public anger over accusations that a US Marine killed a Filipino on the city's outskirts, officials said on Monday.

Foreign department spokesperson Charles Jose said the visits of three US ships to Subic this month had been cancelled, while the head of the Subic freeport said nine such visits scheduled for this year had been called off.

"The DFA (department of foreign affairs) was informed through normal diplomatic channels of the cancellation of the visits to Subic of three ships for operational reasons", he said.

Jose told reporters he did not believe the cancellations were linked to anger stirred by the investigation of a US Marine for the killing of a Filipina in Olongapo City last month.

Subic Bay metropolitan authority chairperson Robert Garcia said nine US ships due to dock at Subic this year had cancelled their visits.

He told AFP that two US Navy ships were still scheduled to make port calls in Subic for "emergency repairs" but their crews would not be allowed to disembark.

Normally, two or three US Navy ships make routine port calls every month for resupply in Subic, a former US naval base about an hour's drive from Manila, said Garcia.

He said the authority had been informed of the cancellations by the Subic chamber of commerce, which includes the company that services US ships.

However Garcia could not say why the visits were cancelled. US embassy officials declined to comment.

Jennifer Laude, a 26-year-old transgender Filipina, was found dead on 12 October in a cheap hotel near Subic with marks of strangulation on her neck.

US marine private first class Joseph Scott Pemberton, who had just finished taking part in US-Philippine military exercises in Subic, had checked into the hotel with Laude and was the last person seen with her, police said.

Pemberton is now detained at Philippine military headquarters while prosecutors consider charging him.

Activist groups have seized on the incident to attack the defence ties between the United States and its former colony.

Frequent street protests have been staged against the US forces.

Read more on:    philippines  |  us

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.