US embassy scare a false alarm

2010-09-17 14:01

Stockholm - The area around the US embassy in Stockholm was briefly closed off on Friday after the delivery of a suspicious package which turned out to be harmless, the embassy and police said.

"The 'bomb' was not a bomb. The contents (of the suspicious package) were absolutely without danger," Ulf Lindgren of the Stockholm police told AFP.

Police had earlier cordoned off the area around the embassy, removed the suspicious object and taken it to an isolated area, Lindgren said.

Embassy spokesperson Chris Dunnet told AFP earlier "I can confirm that a suspicious package was delivered to the embassy this morning".

The building was not evacuated, he said.

Police had been called to the scene just after 10:00 and the bomb squad was called in to investigate the package, Lindgren said.

Slightly before noon, an AFP photographer confirmed the police tape around the building had been removed.