News24

US man drinks gasoline, lights up, dies

2012-02-29 09:35

Havelock - Police say a man is dead after he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a cigarette.

Havelock police received an emergency call about 21:55 local time on Monday after 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire.

Banning was transported to UNC Burn Centre in Chapel Hill, where he died early on Tuesday morning.

City spokesperson Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning was at a friend's apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes.

Sometime later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flames.

Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their investigation.

Comments
  • Charlie - 2012-02-29 09:50

    Darwin Award goes to...

      E=MC2 - 2012-02-29 09:56

      you took the words out of my mouth! :)

      Martin - 2012-02-29 10:12

      DRUM ROLL.....TA DAAAA

      john.h.viljoen - 2012-02-29 10:49

      please tell me,how the fu@k do you drink gasoline by accident?

      melissa.jarvis2 - 2012-02-29 12:04

      Morale of the story, smoking kills

      Vernon - 2012-02-29 13:00

      lets not blow the story out of proportion:)

  • Oneant - 2012-02-29 10:20

    hurrah. one less moron on the planet.

  • MastersVoice - 2012-02-29 10:20

    Just goes to prove that smoking DOES kill...

  • Ben - 2012-02-29 10:28

    Darwin Darwin Darwin

  • Alan - 2012-02-29 11:00

    Smoking is hazardous for your health.

  • Deon - 2012-02-29 11:21

    Smoking can kill.

  • Randy - 2012-02-29 11:29

    same mantality as malema

  • Shawn Larsen - 2012-02-29 11:51

    Consider these intriguing facts: Almost 50,000 Americans are injured each year by pencils, pens and other desk accessories. 400,000 Americans suffer injuries involving beds, mattresses or pillows...and 142,000 received emergency treatment for injuries inflicted by their clothing. -- Source: Statistical Abstract of the United States.

  • Barry - 2012-02-29 14:12

    Up in smoke.....

  • zaid.orrie - 2012-02-29 14:52

    Candidate for Darwin Award! LMAO!!

  • Zizi - 2012-02-29 15:15

    Strangely enough, I know of a similar case where a man from Vereeniging accidentally drank paraffin that was in a Sprite bottle and then later went out for a smoke and then ... kaboooom!! He died a few days later

  • Terry - 2012-02-29 16:31

    how on earth did he not smell what he was drinking as gasoline has quite a smell,and he did not smell this before lighting a ciggie.

  • pages:
  • 1