US marine admits choking death of Filipina transgender

2015-08-24 12:12
US marine Joseph Scott Pemberton. (Aaron Favila, AFP)

US marine Joseph Scott Pemberton. (Aaron Favila, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Manila - A US Marine stationed in the Philippines has admitted that he choked to death a Filipina transgender inside a motel north of the capital Manila, in a case that reignited tensions about the presence of American troops in the country.

Joseph Scott Pemberton made the admission on Monday during the hearing on Jennifer Laude's murder in Olongapo City, just outside the former US naval base in Subic, according to local news reports.

According to the reports, the American serviceman confessed to choking and dragging the victim after discovering that Laude was not biologically female.

RELATED: No way home for Filipino 'Amerasians'

Harry Roque, lawyer of the victim, also posted on Twitter that the accused testified that "he restrained Jennifer through an 'arm lock' until she stopped moving".

Roque said that Pemberton invoked self-defence and told the court he feared that he would be raped.

A Filipino investigator had testified last May that the victim died due to strangulation and asphyxia by drowning.

Last Tuesday, Pemberton's mother Lisa also appeared in court to assert to her son's "good character", and to say that he did not discriminate against gay people.   

The accused has been detained at a military camp in Manila pending the resolution of his case.

Pemberton had been taking part in joint US-Philippine military exercises in October 2014 when the incident took place.

The case has gained international attention as the Philippines and the US seek closer military ties to counter China's territorial claims and expansion in the South China Sea.

Following the incident, the US was forced to temporarily cancel port visits of nine warships in the Philippines.

Filipino activists have questioned the legality of the presence of US troops in the country.

The murder case also put pressure on the government of President Benigno Aquino III to renegotiate the US-Philippine Visiting Forces Agreement.

Manila and Washington signed the enhanced defence co-operation pact in April 2014 during the Philippine visit of President Barack Obama.

The agreement allows US forces a greater and sustained presence in the Philippines for maritime security and disaster and humanitarian operations.

Read more on:    philippines  |  gay rights

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.