US soldier to recount horrific massacre

2013-06-05 15:02
Robert Bales (Picture: AP)

Robert Bales (Picture: AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seattle - The American soldier charged with killing 16 Afghan civilians during night-time raids on two slumbering villages last year, is expected to recount the horrific slaughter in a military courtroom on Wednesday when he pleads guilty to avoid the death penalty.

Staff Sergeant Robert Bales faces premeditated murder and other charges in the March 2012 attacks near the remote base in southern Afghanistan where he was posted.

Most of the victims were women and children, and some of the bodies were burned; relatives have told AP they are irate at the notion Bales will escape execution for one of the worst atrocities of the Afghanistan war.

Under the terms of his agreement with Army prosecutors, Bales will plead guilty on Wednesday at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, south of Seattle, and a sentencing-phase trial will be held this summer to determine whether he receives life in prison with the possibility of parole, or without it.

Bales's attorney, John Henry Browne, said on Tuesday he expects the judge, Colonel Jeffery Nance, to question the soldier closely about what happened before deciding whether to accept the plea. It's unclear whether Nance will make a decision on Wednesday.

"Tomorrow is going to be about what happened, then in August is going to be a jury trial about why it happened," Browne said.

"Obviously, avoiding the death penalty is our No 1 goal. We've accomplished that, assuming the judge accepts the plea, and we believe he will."

'Crazed and broken'

Bales, a 39-year-old father of two, has signed a detailed stipulation of facts admitting his actions, Browne said.

However, the document remains under seal, and the lawyer declined to provide details about it.

Browne said last week that Bales was "crazed" and "broken" but not legally insane at the time of the killings.

Although Wednesday's proceedings will provide Bales's account for the first time, survivors who testified by video link from Afghanistan during a hearing last fall vividly recalled the carnage.

A young girl in a bright headscarf described hiding behind her father as he was shot to death.

Boys told of hiding behind curtains as others scrambled and begged the soldier to spare them, yelling: "We are children! We are children!"

A thick-bearded man told of being shot in the neck by a gunman "as close as this bottle”, gesturing to a water bottle on a table in front of him.

Prosecutors say that before dawn on 11 March 2012, Bales slipped away from Camp Belambay in Kandahar Province, armed with a 9 mm pistol and M-4 rifle outfitted with a grenade launcher.

He first attacked one village of mud-walled compounds, Alkozai, then returned to the base, woke up a fellow soldier and told him about it. The soldier didn't believe him and went back to sleep. Bales then left to attack a second village, Najiban.

Protests

The massacre prompted such angry protests that the US temporarily halted combat operations in Afghanistan, and it was three weeks before Army investigators could reach the crime scene.

Bales was serving his fourth combat deployment and had an otherwise good if undistinguished military record in a decade-long career.

The Ohio native suffered from PTSD and a traumatic brain injury, his lawyers say, and he had been drinking contraband alcohol and snorting Valium - both provided by other soldiers - the night of the killings.

The case raised questions about the toll multiple deployments were taking on American troops.

For that reason, many legal experts believed it was unlikely he would receive the death penalty, as Army prosecutors were seeking.

The military justice system hasn't executed anyone since 1961, but five men currently face death sentences.

“Any time you can strike a deal that saves your client's life, I would call that a win," said Dan Conway, a civilian military defence lawyer who is not involved in the case.

"This is the right result for both parties."

Read more on:    robert bales  |  us  |  afghanistan  |  afghanistan shooting

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
6 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.