Vatican warned of sex abuse, records show

2013-07-02 09:04
New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan speaks during a mass at St Patrick's Cathedral in New York. (AP)

New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan speaks during a mass at St Patrick's Cathedral in New York. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Milwaukee - The cardinal of the Archdiocese of New York, in his former job, warned the future Pope Benedict XVI that "the potential for true scandal is very real" over sex abuse claims, according to documents released on Monday.

Former Milwaukee Archbishop Timothy Dolan - now president of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops and the nation's most prominent Roman Catholic official - sought to push problem priests out of the priesthood after people began coming forward with abuse claims in the early 2000s.

Dolan wrote to then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the future pope, in July 2003 asking to dismiss Daniel Budzynski. Abuse allegations against Budzynski stretched back to the 1970s, and Dolan told Ratzinger that "as victims organise and become more public, the potential for true scandal is very real".

The Vatican removed Budzynski from the priesthood in 2004.

Monday's release of about 6 000 pages of Milwaukee archdiocese documents has drawn national attention because of Dolan's involvement. The archdiocese released them as part of a deal reached in federal bankruptcy court with clergy sex abuse victims suing it for fraud.

‘Improved protection’

Victims say the archdiocese transferred problem priests to new churches without warning parishioners and covered up priests' crimes for decades.

Dolan has not been accused of transferring problem priests, and he took over as archbishop in Milwaukee in mid-2002, after many victims had already come forward. But there have been questions about his response to the crisis.

Dolan also sought permission from a Vatican office to move $57m into a trust for "improved protection" as the Milwaukee archdiocese prepared to file for bankruptcy amid dozens of abuse claims, according to the documents. The Vatican office granted the request.

The victims' attorneys have accused Dolan of trying to hide the money. In a statement released on Monday, Dolan called any suggestion he was trying to shield money from victims an "old and discredited" attack.

Jerry Topczewski, chief of staff for current Archbishop Jerome Listecki, said the money was always set aside in a separate fund for cemetery care, and moving it to a trust just formalised that.

In his letter to the Vatican, Dolan said the money would still have to be used to care for cemeteries if placed in a trust. But, he added, "By transferring these assets to the Trust, I foresee an improved protection of these funds from any legal claim and liability".

Shielding priests

As of 30 June 2012, the archdiocese had spent nearly $30.5m on litigation, therapy and assistance for victims and other costs related to clergy sex abuse, according to its annual statement.

It faces sex abuse claims from about 570 people in bankruptcy court, although some of them involve lay people or priests assigned to religious orders, not the archdiocese.

Listecki said last week in an email to priests, parish leaders and others that the reports of abuse go back as much as 80 years. In the 1970s and 80s, priests were often removed from their parishes, sent for counseling and then reassigned.

Twenty-two Milwaukee priests were reassigned to parish work after allegations of abuse, and eight offended again, he said. Overall, Listecki said, "people were ill-equipped to respond" to the problem.

Similar files made public by other Roman Catholic dioceses and religious orders have detailed how leaders tried to protect the church by shielding priests and not reporting child sex abuse to authorities. The cover-up extended to the top of the Catholic hierarchy.

Correspondence obtained by The Associated Press in 2010 showed the future Pope Benedict XVI had resisted pleas in the 1980s to defrock a California priest with a record of molesting children. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger led the Vatican office responsible for disciplining abusive priests before his election as pope.

Read more on:    pope benedict xvi  |  us  |  child abuse  |  religion

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
21 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.