War rubble removed in Gaza

2014-12-03 22:41
(Thomas Coex, AFP)

(Thomas Coex, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Gaza City - The first large-scale project to remove tons of rubble in the Gaza Strip left over from this summer's fighting between the Islamic militant group Hamas and Israel began on Wednesday, a significant step forward in rebuilding the war-torn area.

The project is taking place in Gaza City's Shijaiyah neighbourhood, an area that was devastated during the fighting. Workers manning bulldozers and other heavy machinery began gathering and crushing the rubble. Others, wearing fluorescent vests, were busy extracting twisted rebar for recycling. People used horse-drawn carts to carry bags of cement to repair damaged dwellings.

Palestinian Minister of Public Works Mufeed al-Hasayneh said the 50-day war in July and August left 2.5m tons of rubble in Gaza.

Sweden is paying $3.2m for the project through the United Nations, where officials hope to crush and clear 140 000 tons of rubble in Shijaiyah over the course of a year.

About 100 000 buildings or structures were damaged in the fighting. The UN says this includes over 18 000 housing units that were entirely destroyed.

More than three months after the end of the war, delivery of building materials is slow.

A UN-sponsored mechanism allows some people to obtain cement and steel based on vouchers from the ministry. The vouchers are issued after Israel is briefed on the amounts of the materials each family would get, to make sure that supplies are not diverted to Hamas to build attack tunnels or other militant infrastructure.

"This is a painful way because there is still a long course and we have not started real rebuilding until now," al-Hasayneh said.

Sweden's Consul General in Jerusalem Ann-Sofie Nilsson has announced a $3.4m fund for the more than 1 500 families whose homes were destroyed.

Nabil al-Deeb, a 51-year-old who lost his house in the Gaza fighting, said he wants the removal of rubble to be completed as soon as possible. "So far, we are still suffering in accommodation. We live in rentals and no one is taking care of us," he said.

Read more on:    sweden  |  gaza  |  aid

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
4 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.